Thursday, January 26, 2017

A Beginning to A Healthier Life



The past few months I have been trying to be a much healthier person. Do you think it is rather late in life? I should have started that when I was 20. 

                                            Oh well, better late than never. 

After having numerous digestive problems, colon cancer, gallstones, diverticulosis, suspected celiac, I told myself.... those things are not going to correct themselves. DUH...


                                             So,I took the bull by the horns.

                             I am in the process of wrestling that sucker to the ground. 

                            I would like to take you along on my journey to being healthier.

To begin with I ordered the book by Dr. Michael Greger titled "How Not To Die". I have to admit that the title intriqued me. I surely wanted to know how NOT to die. That book has become my 'bible' of healthy living that I refer to often. In these blog posts, I will paraphrase him often. I love his take on life and living. 


here are some info from:
Chapter 1
How Not to Die From Heart Disease

We all know about cholesterol, the fatty deposits that build up in the linings of the blood vessels. I have had high cholesterol for years, take medicine for it to keep it under control but I had never thought that perhaps I could do more to control it myself. So, that's one of the areas I am working on.

image from wikipedia


As cultures evolve, so do our eating habits. We eat so badly!! Lord help us all.

People in countries that have diets based on plant-derived foods seldom have heart attacks. Imagine that!! 

And, teeth in people who lived before the toothbrush, they had no cavities. They had no sugar. The reason people get cavities now is that they'd rather eat sugar and then go to the dentist and sit in that chair with the dentist drilling away, than do without the sweets. 

Just as we can avoid sugary foods that rot our teeth, we can also avoid trans fat, saturated fat and cholesterol-laden foods that clog up our arteries. 

Are you game? 

5 comments:

  1. I'm game! I too am fighting disease but also chronic pain that sometimes controls my day. I do exercise, ride a stationary bike and try to walk on my treadmill. It is winter here, so dark, cloudy, windy and cold. I will enjoy the above more when I can get outside. Thank you for starting this journey in blogland, keep it up, you CAN do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely IN!!! I try to eat right but I could do better...we all could. I can't eat sugar...I have a terrible reaction to sugar if I eat just a tiny bit, so I can mark that off my list of things to give up. We all have lots to learn though and looks like you are going to do some research and keep us up on healthy living! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latane I wish you well in 2017 with your aim for a Healthy Me!

    When my husband Eddie was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes eight years ago, we changed our lifestyle ... you can read about it here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/introduction-to-low-carb-for-beginners.html

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK I'm game, but I'm not sure about the recipes so far! Please don't take that personal. I cook A LOT because my husband eats A LOT! He works hard and works it off. I do housework, but it's winter here and I don't like the cold so I don't get out much. So I don't work it off as much. But he wants comfort foods ALL THE TIME! And by the time I cook for him, I'm done cooking! But today I hit the highest weight I've ever been and I decided I need to do something. Maybe we can all help each other. I'm going on a trip to Mexico (that's the plan anyway-it's paid for-and was paid for before all of the hullabaloo!)and I'd love to lose about 30 pounds by June. Thanks for taking the bull by the horns. I'm going to help you wrestle it down!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be a wonderful help for all of us! Hopefully we can all add some insight in our comments as well.

    ReplyDelete