Thursday, February 23, 2017

Quinoa Fried Rice

About four years ago I had lunch at a friends house and she served something I had never heard of....

Quinoa. Yes, I have led a sheltered life. hehe

I kept thinking that I would get some and try it myself and here I am, years later, sharing a new dish I fixed for the first time tonight, Quinoa Fried Rice. 



I really enjoyed it. I did not have frozen peas on hand, nor a zucchini so I just chopped up red sweet pepper to replace those with. I think I like that better but you could add a bunch of different veggies in there. You could also add shrimp or chunks of chicken. I ate mine with 3 chicken nuggets on the side. 

I was so happy to discover that quinoa is a complete protein with all eight amino acids that are so essential to our well-being. It was first grown in South America over 5,000 years ago (and it sure took a long time to work it's way north!) 

My organic quinoa just has 156 calories per serving. 
Total Fat 2.5 grams with no saturated fat and no trans fat! 
There also is no Cholesterol, sodium or sugar. I loved the fact that it does have 3 grams of fiber per serving. I am always looking for ways to get more fiber. 

I just have that one recipe for quinoa. Do you have any that you would like to share with us? I'd much appreciate it.


5 comments:

  1. I've not had quinoa.
    Love all the vegetables you've used.

    Have a good weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try quinoa! Thanks for the recipe! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried this grain, but I have a feeling it will be on our to try list within the next couple of weeks as we too are trying to lose weight before warmer weather is really here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried quinoa different ways. Panera Bread has Power Almond Quinoa Oatmeal. I add a little Splenda to it, but it's a favorite. I've toasted it in the oven and added it to my yogurt for a nice crunch. (That recipe is in Power Foods cookbook). A friend uses quinoa pasta (it is gluten free). I agree--what took it so long to get here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you know a lot of ways to enjoy quinoa. Maybe the girl who commented before you will try it now.

      Delete