Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Beans Today

WOW. There's just so much to share and I don't know where to start or what I should focus on.                              
                                 But, today I think the post is gonna be about BEANS.




Since I started using Dr. Greger's 'How Not To Die' book about how much healthier we can be with a plant-based diet, well, I have just been 'over the moon' about each new discovery. 

And, gals, I tell you no lie... I have eaten more beans in the last 4 months than I think I did in all my 83 years put together.

                                                THEY ARE GOOD FOR YOU!!

Now, I always used to fix the standard green beans and some black-eyed peas with my meals but I didn't branch out much. Now, there's nothing off limits. 

Dr. G says you should get 3 servings of beans a day. Oh lordy. Okay, let's see how we can fit all those things into the menu planning.

                                           ************

It's Breakfast time. Beans for breakfast!! I don't think so.... but hey I will try anything... once!. So how about some left-over cooked green beans stirred into scrambled eggs  or perhaps a hummus/ breakfast burrito? One down, two to go.

I could do a serving of some type of bean soup for lunch. Any kind of soup is more healthy if they contain beans. Or try baked beans with a lettuce wrapped burger. Okay, two down, one to go.

My afternoon snack could be edamame beans by the handful or hummus stuffed celery. I could make veggies strips and dip them into bean dip. 

I would have never thought to add hummus or dip to my BEAN needs. Probably all of you knew this already... (I am a slow learner!) So, that's my third serving. Hey, I am finished for today.

Did you know that beans are loaded with protein, iron and zinc and also include fiber, folate and potassium? They are considered both a protein in our diet as well as a vegetable. They do double duty. They are great for lowering cholesterol, regulating our bodily functions and giving us nutrients that we need.


How is your favorite way to incorporate beans into your meals? Or had you ever thought about it?

And, did you know that you can make black bean brownies? We can add beans to our desserts, too. Wow.

So, let's get those pantry shelves and freezers stocked with BEANS, BEANS, BEANS!!

                             

                                                       BEAN SERVING SIZES:

                                                 1/4 cup of hummus or bean dip
                                                 1/2 cup cooked, beans, split peas, lentils, tofu or tempeh
                                                 1 cup of fresh (raw) peas


5 comments:

  1. I like beans and know they are a good source of protein....but I don't eat very many of them! Where's the BEANO? heehee! Did you see that I mentioned your new healthy blog in my post today? Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from Diane's blog as she mentioned you today. We love beans at our house and we try to eat some each day. Even though I'm sure more servings would be beneficial to us. Last night I made quesadillas that I always add black beans and lots of other veggies. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, Martha Ellen. Love putting beans on so many things. And, thanks for stopping by. So happy to see you here. Hope you will come back often.

      Delete
  3. Hi Latane and yes, we do enjoy beans and this week I've had several varieties -- kidney and black beans in chili and cannelloni and white northern beans in a Portuguese Kale Soup. And, like yourself, I need to come up with even more ways to include in our diet. Of course, I usually make a 3-bean salad in warmer months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought to try to eat beans three times a day! We do like hummus...had never thought of putting it in a wrap or in celery, both good ideas. I usually do green beans and black eyed peas, like you said, but I also try to make chili fairly often, especially in the winter and it is loaded with different kinds of beans, mostly kidney. I love edamame, but with soybeans being all GMO, I have moved away from it. If I could find a good non-GMO variety. They are so good on a salad!

    ReplyDelete