Sunday, February 19, 2017

Daily Dietary Chart

I am so totally committed to eating healthier and my guide (along with some suggestions elsewhere) has been Dr. Michael Greger's book 'How Not To Die'. I sent the book to two of my daughters - Susan (who has received hers already and loves it) and Marie (from A Colorful World, who has not gotten hers in the mail yet). She'll love it, too, trust me... A Mom knows best, hehe. 

Dr. Greger believes that to live long, healthy lives we should eat plant-based foods. I'm not going to go vegan. I do like my chicken and other less fattening meats so I'll say that you base how you use these suggestions with your own conscience. 

In the book, I ran across a chart Dr. G. had made and stuck up in his kitchen that are his projected requirements and he checks off each one as he consumes them every day. 

Now, I'm telling you - there's no way I can eat all of that.... I don't think it -- I know it!!

                                                       SERVINGS PER DAY

                                                             3     beans               1/2 cup
                                                             1     berries             1/2 cup
                                                             3     other fruit        1 med. or 1 cup
                                                             4     green leafy vegetables  1/2 cup
                                                             5     other greens
                                                             2     other vegetables
                                                             1     flaxseed           1 Tablespoon
                                                             1     nuts                   1/4 cup
                                                             

I have briefly covered "beans" in a previous post (you can find it by going to the labels at the bottom of the page).  We'll discuss the other servings later on.

Right now let's just think about what he suggests we eat. Personally I can't consume all of that. And, yes, I do need a chart so that I can check off what I do eat. 

                                                        I've made some changes already. 

                            I am eating a lot more beans (but not every day). 
                                       
                        I am a cereal for breakfast kind of gal so I eat whole grain and add both a handful of walnuts and a few berries or chopped cherries on top
                  
            I haven't tried flaxseed yet. Dr. G. suggests ground flaxseed and I didn't find that in my grocer.

                         I am eating more salads with raw vegetables

I see there is room for improvement. It's a work in progress, evidently. How are you all doing? Let me know. 

5 comments:

  1. here's my regular diet daily...
    3 beans 1/2 cup (I DON'T DO BEANS, I FIND THEM INFLAMMATORY)
    1 berries 1/2 cup (YES, IF I CAN AFFORD THEM)
    3 other fruit 1 med. or 1 cup (I HAVE ONE ASIAN PEAR EVERY DAY, CAN'T AFFORD THE CALORIES OF THE OTHER TWO)
    4 green leafy vegetables 1/2 cup (TOTALLY DO THAT EVERYDAY)
    5 other greens (I GET MAYBE TWO OF THE FIVE DOWN, THREE IF LUCKY)
    2 other vegetables (I ADD TOMATOES TO MY SALAD, MAYBE THAT WOULD COUNT AS A SECOND FRUIT INSTEAD??)
    1 flaxseed 1 Tablespoon (CAN'T HAVE ESTROGENIC FOODS)
    1 nuts 1/4 cup (UNFORTUNATELY, I USUALLY CAN'T AFFORD THE CALORIES)

    THEN I ADD 4 OUNCES TWICE A DAY, SOMETIMES THREE TIMES A DAY OF CHICKEN, EGGS OR ORGANIC PORK OR BEEF (SOMETIMES)

    WILL BE ADDING SALMON TWICE A WEEK, EVEN THOUGH IT'S OUTSIDE OUR BUDGET..
    That's it, we add good fats to all veggies and will start next week making our own mayo using MCT oil (coconut oil) and olive oil to boost our omega 3's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you are on the right track, Jennifer. You do what you can do to make yourself healthy. I am far from following Dr. G's recommendations, myself. But, I'm trying.

      Delete
  2. I love green leafy vegetables, especially nice with chicken or fish.
    I love a salad too.
    I love berries, like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.
    I love eating whole fresh foods and staying away from processed ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. One way to stay healthier.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to look for that book too! Have a happy healthy weekend sweet lady! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete