Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Do You Want Lemon in Your Water?

I've had a toothache! It started a few days ago and since it wasn't very painful I decided to wait until I had a tooth cleaning session to have it looked at.  Can you imagine spending Valentine's Day at the dentist!! 

Are you one of those millions who ask for lemon with water? Oh, yes, I've done it a zillion times and thought I was being 'cool', and it tasted so good. It's true that lemon is good for you but there are some things I found out at the dentist office that gave me pause. So, I looked up some reliable sites on the web to further investigate.


Lemons aid in digestion. That was one of the reason I take it once a day.. a little lemon juice mixed with soda to help with that. Lemon also provides nutrients, boost the immune system, reduces mucus, freshens breath and much more. 

I am very guilty of pouring a small amount of lemon juice into my bottled water and I carry it around all afternoon sipping away. Bad idea, they tell me. Anything with lemon needs to be drunk quickly and then the acid taken care of by rinsing your mouth with water. 

Lemon juice (as well as all citrus fruits) has acid. That acid irritates your gums and softens the teeth enamel... and you will probably end up with cavities. 



Time to re-think this 'lemon in your water' thing. Here are the things I found out.

1. If you have lemon in a drink, rinse your mouth out with water as soon as you are finished. 

2. Don't brush your teeth after your lemony drink. The brushing will further enhance the erosion of your teeth while the acid is still very fresh in your mouth.

3. Read labels on drinks you buy to see if they contain any lemon juice.

4. If you must have lemon with your drink in a restaurant, ask for a glass of water as well and end with that.

5. Plain water is much better for you. 

Have a wonderfully joyous week and stay healthy.


6 comments:

  1. I had read about the effect on teeth that lemons can/do have, but I found your post interesting, and a timely reminder ...thank you.

    Enjoy the rest of your week

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know! Thanks and I hope your tooth feels much better now! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that! Thanks for the info - I do like lemon in my water, but I will be much more careful now. Hope your toothache was taken care of with not too much trouble. xo K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping back to ask ... is your tooth feeling better now?
    I do hope so.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easier, Jan, but I still have to have it fixed. A deep cavity underneath a crown and under the gumline. It was so sweet of you to ask.

      Delete
  5. Thanks also Latane for the tips on lemon usage. I recall reading similar cautions against all citric fruits. Hole your tooth issue wont be too painful, although they seldom are not😕

    ReplyDelete