Friday, February 10, 2017

TURMERIC

Everywhere you look these days somebody is touting the amazing properties of turmeric. You'd think that it would cure everything and anything with the way they are going on and on about it. I really perked up when I read that it is especially good for digestive problems, especially cancer.

Back in 2002 I had colon cancer. That was a scary time in my life but thank the good Lord, I am a survivor. Wish I'd known about turmeric before then. Would it have made a difference? I don't know but it would have been worth a try.




Curcumin is that yellow color in turmeric and has been found to be effective against cancer cells. 

Colon cancer in it's early stages is just clusters of cells that grab onto the lining of your colon. Smokers tend to have a lot of this problem (another reason to quit smoking) so researchers tested heavy smokers and found that curcumin could reduce those clusters up to nearly 40% in just a month.

If polyps have already formed... 6 months of curcumin used with another natural ingredient from grapes and onions reduced the polyps to half the amount and size.

Turmeric has positive results in tests with many ailments that we humans have: arthritis, Alzheimers, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and many, many others. It is anti-inflammatory. It can help regulate mild depression and mood swings because it releases the dopomine and serotonin in your brain that makes us feel good. I sure could use a mood-adjuster ever now and then.

Since it is such a powerful spice, usage of turmeric should not be more than 1/4 teaspoon per day.

                                                                      ########

So, how do we incorporate TURMERIC into our diet? I know that the spice is used in Indian and Asian dishes. You can add it to many dishes that you prepare and even add it to a smoothie that you drink. It goes well with rice, in lentil soups or on roasted veggies.

And, did you know that the reason prepared mustard is yellow is because it has turmeric in it? Do you have turmeric in your pantry? On the spice rack? Think about adding it.

                                                          BUT A WORD OF CAUTION:

People who have gallstones may experience pain when ingesting turmeric. Wouldn't you know it!! The doc recently found stones in my gall bladder. But, I may try a small amount just to see if there is an adverse reaction. Worth a try.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Latane, Love the new blog! I've always wanted to try turmeric and wondered about its health benefits. Thank you for the great info - I wouldn't have known how much to use or how to use it. I'm putting it on my grocery list! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latane, thank you for your words of encouragement with the cancer. I've heard from many survivors in just the week the blog post went up. It's so comforting to hear from so many people that made it through. This blog is fabulous, I love that you;re doing a blog about all the things you discover about living healthy. Over these last years I've had to learn so much about healthy eating, I almost feel like an expert but I also know there's so much to learn that one should never stop. I knew turmeric was good for you, I take two capsules of it a day as I don't like it in my food but I didn't know it was THAT great, wow. Terrific info thanks. I'll keep checking in to learn more. Hope you're having a lovely weekend and I'm so glad to hear you survived colon cancer, my uncle didn't make it through so it's wonderful to hear you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep a great attitude and fight like hell is after you!! You are gonna be fine, my new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI LATANE,Ii JUST HEARD ABOUT THIS ON GMA, I THINK THIS LAST WEEK. I STARTED ADDING A PINCH OF IT TO MY VARIOUS DISHES. I AM ALSO ADDING CURRY POWDER, AND CINNAMON AS I HAVE HEARD THEY ARE ALSO GOOD FOR WHAT AILS YA! I HAVE A LOT OF ARTHRITIS. I AM GLAD YOU ARE BETTER, AND THANKS FOR COMMENTING ON MY BLOG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the way I use turmeric, and others may like to do this as well...I sprinkle it on my pork chops while they are cooking! It makes them a little orangy in color, but adds a bit of extra flavor. It's good. I have wondered how else to use it, as I want to ingest it more often than the once or twice a month we have pork chops! :-) I should start adding it to rice. Also, we could do a tiny amount in a smoothie, especially a veggie-based smoothie, I think. Or sprinkle it on deviled eggs instead of paprika! :-) Actually it might not be bad mixed in scrambled eggs either.

    ReplyDelete