Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Chicken/Hominy Stir-fry.

Oh my goodness, folks. I did another stir-fry the other night and it definately will be made over and over again in my kitchen. You really should try it.

I found it in the Eating Well magazine, the Jan-Feb. issue. I was fascinated by the fact that it used hominy. I remember eating hominy back a kazillion years ago but I really hadn't given it a thought in recent years. The Mexican's use it in their soup posole. 

Okay, count me a fan. 
     


                                Chicken with Bell Pepper and Hominy Stir-Fry

            1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
                        2 tsp. canola oil            
                        3 tsp. ground cumin, divided
                        1/2 tsp. salt, divided     
                        1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
                        2 med. red bell peppers, chopped      
                        2 cups sliced carrots   
                        1 1/2 cups chopped red onion            
                        3 T. water
                        2 cups rinsed hominy                         
                        2 cloves garlic, minced
                        1  4 oz. can diced green chiles           
                        2 T. lime juice
                        1 firm ripe avocado, diced

Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with 1 tsp. cumin and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is just cooked through, 5-7 min.
Transfer to a bowl and toss with cilantro. Cover to keep warm.

Add bell peppers, carrots, onion, water and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in hominy, garlic and the remaining 2 tsp. cumin. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in green chiles and lime juice and cook for 1 minute more.

Serve the chicken over the hominy mixture. Top with avocado.
              
             Serves 4.

             Calories: 415
             Fat: 15 gram (saturated 0)
             Cholesterol: 103 MG            
             Carbs: 34 G
             Protein: 37 G
             Fiber: 10 G

Tip: I don't use enough of some of the ingredients so I substituted the following: I didn't use quite as much onion (that's just my taste) - I used dried cilantro instead of fresh and I used minced garlic from a jar instead of fresh. Yummy.                                                    


3 comments:

  1. That definitely looks good, Mom! I haven't had hominy in years either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hadn't heard of Hominy so looked it up here
    http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-hominy.htm

    "Hominy refers to corn kernels without their germ and their hull, or bran. The germ and hull might be removed by soaking the corn in a special type of solution or by crushing the kernels and then sifting them out. It can be served whole or ground, and as a cereal or as a vegetable. The ground kernels can also be pressed into patties and fried. This dish is especially popular in the southern United States."

    I just love 'blogland' you pick up and learn new things every day.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never have too many stir-fry recipes, Latane.

    ReplyDelete