Saturday, March 4, 2017

Chicken and Broccoli

I tried another recipe, tweaking it to suit my taste. My recipes come mostly from Slender Kitchen and from Allrecipe magazine. And, I try each one before I turn them loose on you. (grin) 

Last night I had Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry. (recipe at bottom of page). I eat quite a bit of broccoli, always have. So, I thought I'd see what Dr. Greger had to say about the advantages of eating broccoli. There was a section on broccoli and cancer but I was more interested in other aspects. 

And, under broccoli, Dr. Greger starts talking about our intestines, specifically the lining. What? But, he says that we have about 2,000 sq. ft of intestine lining and it's extremely thin because nutrients must be absorbed through that thin material. 

We have a white blood cell that serves two functions: They condition and repair that lining and is our first line against pathogens. These cells (and I know you wouldn't remember the name, even if I told you) but they are activated by receptors. For a long time, researchers could not figure out how that worked. And... then.... ta da.... it is something in broccoli. Who knew? 

Broccoli and other cruciferous veggies protect us not only against the pathogens found in food but also against polluntants in the environment.  So, bring on the broccoli!! 

And, that said.. here is the recipe. 




                                                      Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry

                             1 T. flour                                                          1/8 tsp salt
                             1/2 lb chicken, cut into strips                        3/4 Tsp. vegetable oil
                             1/3 cup chicken broth                                    2 cups broccoli florets
                             1/4 tsp ground ginger                                     3/4 tsp minced garlic
                             1/2 red pepper, cut in strips                            1/4 cup onion, cut in strips
                              1 T. low-sodium soy sauce                            1 tsp. cornstarch

                            Toss together the chicken, salt and four.
                            Heat the vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. 
                            Add the chicken and cook for about 4-6 min. until browned and cooked through.
                            Set aside.
                            Add 1/2 of the chicken broth to the pan. 
                            Add broccoli, onion and pepper and cook until just tender.
                            Stir together soy sauce, remaining chicken broth and remaining cornstarch. 
                            Add together soy sauce, remaining broth and cornstarch. 
                            Add to pan and cook for 2-3 min. until sauce begins to thicken.
                           Add chicken to skillet and cook for 1 minute.



2 comments:

  1. I really like broccoli and cauliflower too, and I have tried similar versions of this recipe, but can always try another one, Latane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken
    I love broccoli

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete