Saturday, April 22, 2017

Beautiful Beets Makes Your Heart BEAT!


                       We all are interested in keeping our blood pressure at a healthy level.

 Dr. M. Greger states in his book "How Not To Die" that a study was done on persons with high blood pressure. One group was given a cup of beet juice daily for four weeks, while the other group was given a placebo. In those who drank the beet juice, the systolic blood pressure went down by about 8 points and continued to drop as time went on. 

I know, you are thinking 'BEET JUICE'. Gross. But, finding canned juice is difficult. Eating a 15 oz. can of beets would equal the same dose of nitrates as the juice would. 

Nitrates, you ask. Yes, Nitric Oxide tells the cell lining in your arteries to "Calm down, Relax, Enjoy" so that they open up and allows more blood to flow. Remember hearing about people who are having chest pains taking nitroglycerin pills?  Works in a similiar way. 

                                     A LIST OF THE TEN TOP VEGETABLES WHICH HAS NITRATES

10. Beets                                                                             5. Mesclum greens
9. Swiss Chard                                                                    4. Butter leaf lettuce
8. Oak Leaf Lettuce                                                            3. Cilantro
7. Beet Greens                                                                    2. Rhubarb
6. Basil                                                                                1. Arugula

I already knew that the darker the vegetable was, the better it was for you. So, I bought some beets at the market. I love beet pickles and have eaten them for years but cooking beets was new to me. 




* I got the beets out of the fridge, washed them, peeled them and sliced them. 

* I put them on a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. 

* I sprinkled them with a small amount of olive oil and some dried thyme leaves. I added some salt. 

* And, into the oven they went. 425 degrees for about 30 minutes until they were tender. YUM. 

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe idea and list Latane ...
    Here is another beetroot recipe idea you may like
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/beetroot-and-orange-soup-with-mustard.html

    I love arugula (rocket) too.

    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beets! I didn't know they were so good for me. I think I'll eat more of them now. Hope you are having a nice weekend. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete